Have you or someone you know recently bought a pressure washer? The high-powered machine is a useful tool to wash off tough stains, but do you know how to safely use one? If not, our trained professionals have compiled the most important things to know based on our expertise and experience.
If you decide to use a pressure washer, make sure to wear the right safety attire because that could be the difference between a job well done and a fatal injury. The safety precautions include wearing a safety helmet, hearing protectors, protective goggles, face protection visor, protective gloves, and safety boots.
This attire is suggested so accidents don't result in injuries. If the trigger is accidentally pushed, the high-pressure water could burst from the machine and slice into your skin. It's important to not only have your body protected by being prepared with protection but to also know how to use the machine before use.
Without the protective gear and knowledge about the machine, you could be in severe danger; you could be at risk for severe cuts that require surgery or worse. Fatal injuries have occurred when making common mistakes like not using the correct attachments and using the wrong pressure for surfaces.
Here are additional tips on how to safely use your pressure washer:
- Read the instructions on how to operate the pressure washer before operating it.
- Make sure the machine is located on a flat surface before turning it on.
- Confirm an electric power washer is properly plugged into a grounded outlet before using it.
- Never direct the washer at any person or pet, and do not let children play with it since it can be a fatal machine when not knowing how to use it.
- Check you are using the correct pressure nozzle and wand by reading the directions and testing it to ensure the washer will work correctly.
- When you take a break, press the safety latches to prevent accidents.
- When you are finished using the pressure washer and have turned off the machine, press the trigger to spray excess water out and then disconnect the hoses and nozzles.
- After being in use for a long time, the engine and motor of the machine can reach high temperatures, so be cautious when moving it.